Welcome

My name is Lisa Tsakos, Registered Holistic Nutritional Consultant, corporate speaker and author. This blog provides professional advice from a nutrition and weight loss expert (me!) about corporate and family health. Here you'll find recipes and articles that address work-related challenges like eating on-the-go and maximizing your productivity with the right foods. You'll also find out about how you can help your children develop strong immune systems and healthy bodies. As a nutrition instructor, I often found myself thinking, "When I have kids, this is how I will feed them." With two toddlers, I have the opportunity to practice what I have been preaching and to try out my theories. So far, they seem to be working! Follow me on my journey and also on Twitter @NuVitalityHW.

25 Feb 2014

Think you don't like Brussels sprouts? Try this recipe

Whenever I mention Brussels sprouts during a seminar, I hear a collective rumble throughout the room. Nobody actually likes eating those mini green cabbages, right? 

Long ago, I was a groaner, too. But after learning about the enormous health benefits of Brussels sprouts, I just couldn't avoid them any longer, so I went on a mission to find a way to eat - and perhaps even enjoy them. 

Here's what the American Institute for Cancer Research has to say about them: 
Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables - cousins to broccoli, cauliflower and Bok choy, turnips, chard and watercress. Studies link greater consumption of cruciferous vegetables with decreased incidence of several types of cancer. That's because they are a source of isothiocyanates, a class of phytochemicals that help our bodies detoxify undesirable compounds, possibly stopping cancer before it starts.
I definitely married the right man. He supports me in every way. In fact, it was Jason who discovered the ultimate Brussels sprouts recipe. Now, I know what you're thinking - this is a TALL order. Well, Jason is a tall guy and he delivered.

These Brussels sprouts are SO good, you'll eat them like candy (I promise!). The maple syrup drizzles into every nook and cranny, plus, they're caramelized which brings out their natural sweetness. At our house, they barely make it to the dinner table. We start popping them into our mouths the minute they come out of the oven.

We put the recipe to the test at a dinner party a while ago. Most of our guests had never tasted Brussels sprouts, and everyone asked for the recipe afterwards!

I hope your curiosity has been piqued. Here is the recipe: 

Ingredients: 
1 pound of raw Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 cup pecans (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 400°C. 
2. In a medium-sized bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with oil, vinegar and maple syrup. 
3. Spread Brussels sprouts onto a baking dish and sprinkle the pecans overtop. 
4. Bake for 15 minutes and give them a stir. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until the Brussels sprouts are golden brown. 
5. Allow them to cool slightly before eating (to avoid burning your tongue as you uncontrollably toss them into your mouth). 

I know you'll enjoy them as much as we do!




No comments:

Post a Comment