Welcome

My name is Lisa Tsakos, Registered Holistic Nutritional Consultant, corporate speaker and author. This blog provides professional advice from a nutrition and weight loss expert (me!) about corporate and family health. Here you'll find recipes and articles that address work-related challenges like eating on-the-go and maximizing your productivity with the right foods. You'll also find out about how you can help your children develop strong immune systems and healthy bodies. As a nutrition instructor, I often found myself thinking, "When I have kids, this is how I will feed them." With two toddlers, I have the opportunity to practice what I have been preaching and to try out my theories. So far, they seem to be working! Follow me on my journey and also on Twitter @NuVitalityHW.

31 Jan 2013

Kicking the sugar habit


In a recent blog post about post-holiday sugar addiction, I outlined a basic anti-sugar diet. A friend of mine recently asked, “What exactly does that look like?” This menu structure should help: 

Breakfast: Build breakfast around healthy protein sources (about 20grams) such as eggs (two eggs with whole grain toast), yogurt (a yogurt/fruit smoothie or parfait topped with granola and fresh fruit), nut butter (on whole grain toast or in oatmeal), avocado or last night’s leftovers.

Mid-Morning Snack: A piece of fresh fruit and handful of walnuts or almonds. Fruit provides some sweetness if you’re already sniffing around for cookies.

Lunch: Some examples for the largest meal of the day include a chicken stir-fry, tuna sandwich and salad, lentil soup and salad, or pasta with salmon. Add some maple syrup to a vinaigrette (oil and balsamic) for sweetness.

Mid-Afternoon Snack: Hummus with raw vegetables (celery, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, etc.). If you’re jonesin´for a sugar snack, yogurt and fruit will do the trick.

Dinner: Fish with vegetables and some whole grain rice is my favorite dish. To add sweetness, top your protein-du-jour with chutney or a fruit-based salsa (I buy a great mango salsa) or some sliced fruit (pineapple works well with most meats). You can also add honey to salad dressing or fresh or dried fruit into a salad, or drizzle maple syrup over butternut squash or Brussels sprouts before roasting.

If you’re still hungry after dinner, make yourself a delicious chocolate (now I’ve got your attention) protein shake (sorry) or have a couple of spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt.

There isn’t anything wrong with enjoying a square of high quality dark chocolate now and again; in fact, studies are showing that it can benefit your health in numerous ways.

Isn’t life sweet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment